Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Purple Love

Editor's Note: To celebrate the grand opening of the newly expanded Quilt House gallery, International Quilt Study Center & Museum team members are blogging about pieces in the gallery's inaugural exhibition, "Getting to Know You."

Center Diamond, made by Melinda King,
United States, circa 1910-1930. Ardis and Robert
James Collection IQSCM 1997.007.0063.

By Joy Shalla Glenna
Membership and Public Programs Assistant

Red + Blue = Purple! Purple is my favorite color. I love this quilt. I look at it and see purple. It draws me – the straight lines, the simplicity, how austere and clean it is. It is comforting and yet hard.

I wonder about its maker. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a chat with her? What was her life like? What was her family like? I doubt it was simple. This makes me want to know more!

1 comment: