Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Thousand Pyramids of the Past and Present

Editor's Note: "Getting to Know You" is on display at Quilt House through February 6. To celebrate this show's run, International Quilt Study Center & Museum team members are sharing their impressions on select pieces from the exhibition. 

Thousand Pyramids, maker unknown, possibly made in Pennsylvania,
circa 1890-1910. Jonathan Holstein Collection IQSCM 2003.003.0137.

By Leslie Levy
Executive Director of Quilt House

I love the Thousand Pyramid pattern; I never tire of looking at its quiet and soothing pattern. In fact, I debated a long time whether I would hang a Thousand Pyramid quilt in my office. It is a timeless and classic pattern as evidenced by a trip to QuiltCon in Austin, Texas.

I was absolutely delighted by these pieces and the quilter’s unique twist or interpretation of a classic pattern to make it fresh and modern for today’s audience.


I love the splash of color coupled with the soft greys!


I think this is a sweet, versatile quilt. Its color pallet makes it the perfect addition to a child’s room, a casual living  room or one’s favorite reading spot.


This quilt echoes the Thousand Pyramids pattern but with a fresh, modern twist. The colors are fantastic!


Traditionally, the myriad of fabrics in a Thousand Pyramids quilt give the quilt interest and color as evidenced by the quilt in our exhibition, but at the same time, there is a subtlety to the quilt. Not this one! I love the bold, bright pyramids at the bottom, and the contrasting black and white at the top. This quilt makes me want to have a room done in shades of grey with this bright, bold, beautiful quilt hanging on the wall for all to admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment