Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Dainty, Elegant and More

Editor's Note: "Getting to Know You" is on display at Quilt House through February 6. To celebrate this show's run, International Quilt Study Center & Museum team members are sharing their impressions on select pieces from the exhibition. 


Red and Green Medallion, maker unknown, probably made
in United States, circa 1850-1870. Byron and Sara
Rhodes Dillow Collection IQSCM 2008.040.0118.

By Joy Shalla Glenn
Membership and Public Programs Assistant

Now why would I pick this quilt to write about??? It certainly is not me! It is dainty, elegant, delicate, refined, and petite. And I unfortunately, possess none of those qualities.

I am usually drawn to stronger, bolder, more geometric quilts. However, there is something about the graceful design that is comforting to the eye. I want to see the applique work up close. Can you even imagine doing all those leaves? And what about those tiny circles?

This was before the day of heat and bond. Yes, I know needle turn looks better, but, honestly, life is too short. So, I also wonder about this quilter. What was her life like?  How did she accomplish that monumental amount of work? I definitely need to see this close up.

No comments:

Post a Comment